Stephen Gran on 14 Jun 2005 20:20:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] New xterm behavior in Debian

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 02:49:56PM -0400, LeRoy Cressy said:
> Hi all,
>
> With the latest Debian upgrade I noticed that the bash people altered a
> config file in /etc without prompting about the change.

dpkg will prompt if both:
a) you have changed a config file
b) a new version of the config gile is available

otherwise it does nothing or promtps.

> /etc/bash.bashrc has been changed to include the following:
>
> # If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir
> case "$TERM" in
> xterm*|rxvt*)
>    PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}: ${PWD}\007"'
>    ;;
> *)
>    ;;
> esac
>
> This means that if you call xterms with -T string the title string
> specified in xterm options is overwritten by bash with total disregard
> to user preferences.
>
> I always thought that it was Debian policy to prompt before changing any
> config file.  Thought this makes upgrading a little slower, the config
> files are protected.

PROMPT_COMMAND is not the same as the title string specified with -T.
PROMPT_COMMAND is what your prompt displays, e.g.
leroy@debian:~$

bash.bashrc is sourced _before_ your ~/.bashrc, so any settings in it
are overridable by your ~/.bashrc.  Are you sure you changed this file,
or are you assuming it must be this since -T isn't doing what you
expected?  I would start by looking elsewhere, although if this file did
get ovrwritten and your changes lost, that would be a serious bug.
|  Stephen Gran                  | A synonym is a word you use when you    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | can't spell the word you first thought  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | of.   -- Burt Bacharach                 |