John Von Essen on 9 Jul 2005 20:32:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DNS/BIND9 problems

Back in the day when NetSol did everything there was a separate record specifically for nameservers, and there still is today. It used for the case when the IP of a nameserver changes, but not the name - the nameserver record gets updated, and you dont have to touch domain records which reference your nameserver.

When you register a new domain, and add NS entries, the registrar checks to see if they are pre-existing nameservers. If not, they will create a nameserver record for them. So just go to register.com and add the nameservers "ns2.passhosting.net" and "ns2.passhosting.net" to the passhosting.net domain record. However, ns1 and ns2 must exist prior to doing this. Then wait a few days, if things dont work, call register.com and say you are a hosting provider and having difficulties with registering a name server.

You really have to fool the registrar with the pri and sec NS thing. Just create an IP alias on your server, and run both ns1 and ns2 on the same machine. Here is a sample config:

$TTL 86400
passhosting.net. IN SOA ns1.passhosting.net. noc.passhosting.net. (
2005051106
7200
1800
604800
43200 )

; Name Servers
                        IN      NS      ns1.passhosting.net.
                        IN      NS      ns2.passhosting.net.
                        IN      MX      10  server01.passhosting.net.
ns1            IN      A       140.140.140.90
ns2            IN      A       140.140.140.91

; Hosts/Aliases
server01           		IN  	A	140.140.140.90
www				IN   	CNAME   	140.140.140.90
passhosting.net.	IN	CNAME	140.140.140.90

And..... DONT FORGET TO MAKE AN IN-ADDR.ARPA ZONE FOR REVERSE RESOLUTION!!! Just tell your upstream provider to delegate authority to your name server for the range you work off of.

-john