Carlos Konstanski on 10 Jul 2005 01:36:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SAMBA restart nmbd

Below is a sample [global] section from a linux samba server on a big,
mixed-os network.  It even handles being the master browser across
several class C subnets (with the "remote announce", "remote browse
sync" and "domain master" args).  Actually, I think those settings may
be defunct.  We don't have a .1 subnet any more.  These args may be
completely unnecessary, at least the ones with "remote" in the name.

The key to really winning browser elections is to crank up the "os
level".  Windows boxes, if I remember correctly, are at a level of 10.

Of course, the windows boxes themselves are running their broken SMB
service, and they can hose the whole thing just by being plugged in.
They may decide to do their own thing, and send broken broadcast
packets.  What to do about that?

Well, you might want to have the DHCP server announce the master
browser to all clients.  Add stuff like the following to dhcpd.conf:

    subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option netbios-name-servers 192.168.2.136;
        # option netbios-node-type 8;
        option netbios-node-type 2;
        #   (1=broadcast only, 2=WINS only, 4=broadcast, then WINS, 8=WINS then broadcast)
        # (see "man dhcp-options" for details...)
    }

We are telling the DHCP clients that they will find their samba server
at 192.168.2.136, and they will not broadcast for another one.  Probably
helps keep the packet shitstorm down too.  We can see that we used
hybrid mode at one time, which allowed broadcasting as a backup measure.
Now we say, "set up your windows box right or too bad" by setting the
node type to 2.  This is because we got sick of spending our days
staring at ethereal output, trying to find the rogue bastard who was
singlehandedly bringing down the samba network via a spurious entry in
his widows samba control panel applet toy.

The smb.conf snippet:

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    netbios name = HAL
    server string = Samba Server on HAL
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    map to guest = Bad User
    password level = 8
    username level = 5
    log level = 2
    max log size = 0

    os level = 99
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    local master = Yes
    enhanced browsing = Yes
    remote announce = 192.168.1.255/WORKGROUP 192.168.1.208/WORKGROUP
    remote browse sync = 192.168.1.255
    wins support = Yes

    dns proxy = No
    valid users = <a big list of usernames here>
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.27.0/24 192.168.16.0/24 192.168.2.0/24 192.168.4.0/24 192.168.8.0/24
    hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

Carlos