high_desert on 13 Jul 2005 05:06:28 -0000

RE: [PLUG] SAMBA restart nmbd

My os level = 20, which is the default, per the help:

os level (G)
This integer value controls what level Samba advertises itself as for browse
elections. The value of this parameter determines whether nmbd(8) has a
chance of becoming a local master browser for the WORKGROUP in the local
broadcast area.
Note :By default, Samba will win a local master browsing election over all
Microsoft operating systems except a Windows NT 4.0/2000 Domain Controller.
This means that a misconfigured Samba host can effectively isolate a subnet
for browsing purposes. See BROWSING.txt in the Samba docs/ directory for
details.
Default: os level = 20
Example: os level = 65

Should I set up a cron to just restart nmbd twice a day or something? I
don't think it's an election thing, cause if another box won then _it_ would
also server the browse list...

--> [mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Carlos
--> Konstanski
--> Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 6:37 PM
-->
--> Below is a sample [global] section from a linux samba server on a big,
--> mixed-os network.  It even handles being the master browser across
--> several class C subnets (with the "remote announce", "remote browse
--> sync" and "domain master" args).  Actually, I think those settings may
--> be defunct.  We don't have a .1 subnet any more.  These args may be
--> completely unnecessary, at least the ones with "remote" in the name.
-->
--> The key to really winning browser elections is to crank up the "os
--> level".  Windows boxes, if I remember correctly, are at a level of 10.
-->
--> Of course, the windows boxes themselves are running their broken SMB
--> service, and they can hose the whole thing just by being plugged in.
--> They may decide to do their own thing, and send broken broadcast
--> packets.  What to do about that?
-->
--> Well, you might want to have the DHCP server announce the master
--> browser to all clients.  Add stuff like the following to dhcpd.conf:
-->
-->      subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
-->          ...
-->          option netbios-name-servers 192.168.2.136;
-->          # option netbios-node-type 8;
-->          option netbios-node-type 2;
-->          #   (1=broadcast only, 2=WINS only, 4=broadcast, then
--> WINS, 8=WINS then broadcast)
-->          # (see "man dhcp-options" for details...)
-->          ...
-->      }
-->
--> We are telling the DHCP clients that they will find their samba server
--> at 192.168.2.136, and they will not broadcast for another one.  Probably
--> helps keep the packet shitstorm down too.  We can see that we used
--> hybrid mode at one time, which allowed broadcasting as a backup measure.
--> Now we say, "set up your windows box right or too bad" by setting the
--> node type to 2.  This is because we got sick of spending our days
--> staring at ethereal output, trying to find the rogue bastard who was
--> singlehandedly bringing down the samba network via a spurious entry in
--> his widows samba control panel applet toy.
-->
--> The smb.conf snippet:
-->
<snip>