Paul L. Snyder on 12 Jul 2005 18:13:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB problems

Quoting Adam Zion <azion@cceb.med.upenn.edu>:

> > So let me see if I understand this: yesterday, or a few days ago, ALL
> > your linux machines stopped working with USB ?
>
> 	No- yesterday, or a few days ago, my main linux machine's USB ports
> appeared to simultaneously fail.

"Fail" covers a lot of territory...did you have attached devices that
stopped working, or did the system just stop recognizing new devices
that were inserted?  Do lights blink on thumb drives you insert?  The
contents of log files are critical for diagnosing a problem like this.

> > What distro?
>
> 	Mandrake 10.
>
> > My best guess is that something got upgraded, but unless it's the
> > kernel (which you said didn't get upgraded), I don't quite see what
> > might have happened.

Did *anything* get upgraded, installed, or removed?  Correlation is not
causation, but it can still be pretty informative.

One other possibility is the hotplug scripts that control what actions
happen when device insertion or removal is detected.

> 	Well, I haven't yet done the handy Windows solution of "shut up 'n
> reboot," so perhaps that will make a difference.

You can often fix things without a reboot, but performing one will
often sweep a problem like this under the carpet.  If it's something
transient, the reboot has a good chance of resolving it.

> > Did the USB stop working after a reboot, or was it running, working
> > fine, and then, all of a suddent, stopped working.
>
> 	The latter.

If this is a desktop machine, are you using an add-in USB card that you
could have unseated?  Are you using an external USB hub?

> > What does dmesg log if you plug in a USB device (like a pen drive) ?
>
> 	I haven't tried that yet. That'll be the next step after a reboot.

Checking the output of dmesg and the contents of /var/log/messages is
probably the best way to hone in on what happened.  Look in there for
error messages related to USB; if there are no messages at all, it may
very well have something to do with a kernel module not being loaded.

If rebooting doesn't solve your problem, look for relevant messages in
those locations.  Send them to the list if you have trouble sorting them
out.

Cheers,
pls