Luke Renn on 14 Jul 2005 18:56:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: plug Digest, Vol 8, Issue 17

* Jeff Watson <redgibson@gmail.com> [2005-07-14 14:25:17 -0400]:

> source-based distros appeal to me but they dont seem to work out in
> the long run. And i don't have the time to embark in the arduous
> gentoo install to see the same compile errors. Opinions on people's

Honestly, just try it.  It's not nearly has hard to install as people
make it seem, especially if you know linux well.  Plus, you'll never
need to do it again.  You never, well, hardly ever, get compile errors
(if you do they're fixed/on the forums in minutes), and waiting for
compile is never a problem (since it can be done remotely with ease,
some people even cron it as stupid an idea as that may be).  For me,
gentoo isn't about the speed, or the coolness factor as some people
seem to think (come on, its not *you* compiling the source, emerge is
doing it for you), it's about the best package management you can get.
For example...

lrenn@trico ~ $ emerge -pv mplayer

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre6-r4  -3dfx +3dnow
-3dnowext +X -aalib +alsa (-altivec) -arts +avi -bidi -cdparanoia
-debug -dga -directfb -divx4linux -doc -dts -dv -dvb -dvd -dvdread
-edl +encode -esd -fbcon -ggi +gif +gtk -i8x0 +ipv6 -jack -joystick
+jpeg -libcaca -lirc -live -lzo +mad -matroska -matrox +mmx -mmxext
+mpeg -mythtv -nas +nls +nvidia +oggvorbis +opengl +oss +png +real
-rtc +samba +sdl -sse -sse2 +svga -tga -theora +truetype -v4l -v4l2
-xanim -xinerama +xmms +xv -xvid -xvmc 0 kB

Do you know what's compiled in your mplayer?  Do you have a choice?

Gentoo user since April 2002...and it rocked then too.

(one more emerge output for good measure.  what i see before i update
every package that needs updating on my system)

lrenn@trico ~ $ emerge -uDpv world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/com_err-1.38 [1.37] +nls 3,536 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/ss-1.38 [1.37] +nls 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] net-nds/openldap-2.1.30-r5 [2.1.30-r4] +berkdb +crypt
-debug +gdbm +ipv6 -odbc +perl +readline +samba -sasl -slp +ssl +tcpd
0 kB
[ebuild     U ] dev-libs/libsigc++-2.0.14 [2.0.11] -debug -doc -test
696 kB

Total size of downloads: 4,233 kB

--
"Java was, as Gosling says in the first Java white paper, designed for
average programmers. It's a perfectly legitimate goal to design a