Luke Renn on 15 Jul 2005 16:34:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: plug Digest, Vol 8, Issue 18

* Jeff Watson <redgibson@gmail.com> [2005-07-15 12:12:34 -0400]:

> #emerge -u world (after syncing..)
>
> then its a battle of compile errors. KDE libs, stdlibc++, etc...
> portage IS the best, thats why i want to use it. Nothing else has the
> wealth of programs avaliable. Perhaps its time to bite the bullet and
> reinstall gentoo :-/ (again...)

I don't even remember the last time I had compile errors.  Bite the
bullet :) Also, before you go start installing X/gnome/kde, etc, tweak
your make.conf (USE, CFLAGS, etc) as much as you can.
If you only plan on using kde, then -gnome...things like that.  Of
course, you can always change your mind later, but it will save you
some initial compile time.  It can be a pain to go through the use
flags one by one, but definitely worth it, and you only really need to
do it once.

also, i prefer emerge -uDv world.  This will update everything on your
system, not just things you specifically emerged (ie, it updates
dependencies, where as emerge -u won't unless needed).

If you run into any problems, forums.gentoo.org is great.  Or feel
free to email me anytime.

--
/*
 * Please skip to the bottom of this file if you ate lunch recently