Cosmin Nicolaescu on 18 Jul 2005 15:45:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: why Gentoo

On Mon, July 18, 2005 10:53 am, sean finney wrote:
> hi,
> how exactly is this faster than a binary release?

well, i'm not sure about debian, but with mandrake a patch release takes
longer to get in their package manager than portage.

> i haven't really found this to be the case, but maybe i'm not looking
> hard enough.

well, check what the current versions for some major apps are
(KDE,X.org,apache), check what the portage stable is, and then check what
debian has and I think you'll notice the difference.

> you can easily bring in a small number of packages from a newer release
> tree without switching your entire system over.  you have three steps:
>
> - put the newer uris in your sources.list
> - append APT::Default-Release "stable"; (or whatever you want as your
>   base) to /etc/apt/apt.conf
> - from then on do apt-get install -t testing some-package when you want
>   to pull in something newer.
>
> apt will then automatically track the testing version of the package and
> upgrade it (and dependencies) as necessary.  the rest of your system
> will remain as it was.  this is a very popular technique for debian
> sysadmins as the stable version gets older and older.

right, it will upgrade the dependencies. But the packages from the testing
branch are compiled against the libraries found in testing, not stable,
and thus will have to upgrade them also. If you have to upgrade half your
libraries to get a newer version of package, that's not pretty efficient
(imho).

And the fact that Debian packages are really old is a know fact, and a
complain from most Debian users. I agree that STABLE is a very solid,
since it's been tested for a long time, but (and I'm not sure about Sid on
this one) having the stable kernel be 2.2 seems a bit too extreme to me..

I'm not advocating a switch from Debian. I think Debian is the best binary
distro, and if you have a slow machine, without the possibility of using a
more powerful machine for compiles, Debian is great. I just got spoiled
with source installs and customizations :)

- -Cos

- --
GPG key fingerprint = DE9F 4664 E666 2BD1 903E  4F4D EA31 5FB1 C7F9 08C1