Pat Regan on 18 Jul 2005 23:52:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: why Gentoo

Cosmin Nicolaescu wrote:
> Yes, sometimes it will just patch, but most of the times it will
> recompile. There are lots of packages that have -rN (int N), which
> indicates that the package has had some patches applied (usually by Gentoo
> devs). The advantage of having a source package is that all the dev has to
> do is add the patch location and tell the ebuild to apply patches on
> compile, and release the ebuild (after testing it, of course). This is
> _much_ faster than a binary release.

> The source cache? All the tars are in /usr/portage/distfiles. You can opt
> to keep them there, or remove upon install. (it's in make.conf, under
> FEATURES). You can also use ccache, and specify how big you want it to be.

I was under the impression that some theoretical discussion from a few
messages up the thread was possibly actually how Gentoo worked.  Here is
the impression I had...

Say you build package foo-1.2.3.  Next week foo-1.2.4 is released.
Instead of downloading a new tarball, Gentoo would apply the diff to
your already built source directory.  Odds are only a few source files
may have been touched, so there may have been not much more to do than
relink the application.

This would have been quite cool even if it would be very space
inefficient.  That is why I mentioned those three packages I built from
source, to demonstrate how much space I figured that would have taken.

Pat