LeRoy Cressy on 22 Jul 2005 20:17:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] security for home users

Chris wrote:
> Its also good to start a password with #  crackers,brute force etc ignore
> lines with # for comments, the odds of a cracker cracking a password with ^#
> are nill
>
> Chris S
> chris@jynx.net
> www.Jynx.net

I don't think that a beginner would be very qualified to set up a
desktop with selinux.  The documentation on how to secure X is awsome.
Also the distros come with a rudimentary default configuration for
selinux.

It would be a lot easier for a beginner to set up posix access control
lists on their system along with encrypted file systems.  The new linux
2.6.12 kernel has some neat methods for encrypting devices.
http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/ which look nicer that the older
crypto-loop.

Also, I think that the new user needs to know how to set the umask in
the .bashrc file

umask 066 which means:
	000 110 110 which makes every new file 110 000 000
                                               rw- --- ---

	This means that only the files owner can read and write to the
	file.

Another simple thin is to make the cookies.txt file a symlink to /dev/null

> Things like prohibiting root ssh sessions (in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> file) are always good.
>
> Choose good passwords.  The strongest passwords contain mIxEd CaSE
> words, letters, numbers and even special characters such as + , . | (
> * ) and so on.  Rather than a simple password, a great way to go is to
> choose a phrase that you'll easily remember, and convert that into a
> password.  Eg:
>
> Suppose you had a daughter, Jennifer, and she was 13 years old.  This
> might lead you to the phrase, "My daughter, Jennifer is 8 + 5 years
> old.", or a password of:
>
> MdJi8+5yo.
>
> Don't login as root.  Use su, or better still, sudo.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
                       FAX:    215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/