Stephen Gran on 26 Jul 2005 18:35:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] X color depth

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:01:32AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I'm definitely running 2048 x 1536 now.  I'm more hard pressed to
> confirm what color depth I'm running.  I just know I'm running more
> than before, because I'm no longer getting errors about failure to
> allocate colors.
>
> It's easy to tell whether I'm running 8 bit -- photos look splotchy.
> It's harder to be sure I'm in 24 and not 16 except that some things
> will subtly look worse.  Any suggestions on how to determine the
> current depth?
>
> I see in /var/log/XFree86.0.log the following line, but that log
> doesn't date its lines and is more confusing than most, since it
> mentions things it just ponders as well as things it's doing.
>
>     (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
>
> But does the minus sign mean it didn't do it or that it did or
> something else?

Informational message, you get a WW or EE on problems.  xdpyinfo will
give you lots of information about your current display.
|  Stephen Gran                  | QOTD:  "If you keep an open mind people |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | will throw a lot of garbage in it."     |