Jeff Abrahamson on 26 Jul 2005 14:01:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] X color depth

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:41:21AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
>   [65 lines, 369 words, 2384 characters]  Top characters: -etoinas
>
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 11:40:30PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> > I set up X on a new machine this weekend.  I used xf86cfg to configure
> > it, as it seems to be the most successful, even though I don't
> > understand what it is doing most of the time.
> >
> > One thing I don't understand is the difference between /etc/X11/ and
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/.  The latter is where xf86cfg puts its files.
>
> The config file is read from /etc/X11/ - /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ is for
> programs related to X.  X -configure (IIRC) will output a config file to
> the $PWD, and is also fairly good at this sort of thing.

How odd that someone would have chosen to do that...

> > More important, though, the config file it writes does not specify a
> > color depth, and I am getting 15 or 16 bit color.  I want 24.  There's
> > a gnome desktop widget for changing the screen resolution, but I don't
> > see a way to change the color depth.  The fact that it isn't specified
> > in the config file just makes it more confusing.
>
> You want an extra line
>
> > (The config file says this:
> >
> >     Section "Screen"
> > 	    Identifier "Screen0"
> > 	    Device     "Card0"
> > 	    Monitor    "Monitor0"
>             DefaultDepth    24

That works.  Thanks.

> > I have a 64 MB graphics card (I think: nVidia Corporation NV20
> > [GeForce3 Ti 200] (rev a3)), so I would think I'd have memory to
> > do 24 bit at 2048 x 1536.
>
> Maybe not, or maybe it thinks your monitor can't do it.  Try the
> above line, and see what the logs say if it won't start
> (/var/log/XFree86.0.log on Debian, if you use a *dm).

I'm definitely running 2048 x 1536 now.  I'm more hard pressed to
confirm what color depth I'm running.  I just know I'm running more
than before, because I'm no longer getting errors about failure to
allocate colors.

It's easy to tell whether I'm running 8 bit -- photos look splotchy.
It's harder to be sure I'm in 24 and not 16 except that some things
will subtly look worse.  Any suggestions on how to determine the
current depth?

I see in /var/log/XFree86.0.log the following line, but that log
doesn't date its lines and is more confusing than most, since it
mentions things it just ponders as well as things it's doing.

    (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp

But does the minus sign mean it didn't do it or that it did or
something else?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287