Stephen Gran on 26 Jul 2005 22:00:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 and local delivery

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 05:06:46PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I think my mail headers look right, but craigslist doesn't like my
> smtp conversations (see transcript below).
>
> I tried running exim4 in debug mode, but mutt doesn't go through port
> 25 to send mail (reasonable enough).
>
> I tried setting (in .muttrc)
>
>     set sendmail="/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -oem -d -v"
>
> but then mail isn't delivered at all, but I see no error message.  The
> mail isn't delivered, the log shows nothing, not even an attempt.
>
> I can't find in the man page how to debug the conversation to find out
> what exim is saying.
>
> Anyone know how to do this?

You would have to run exim foregrounded, which sucks.  -bdf -v would do
what you want, but it's easier to read the error mesage:

** xxx@craigslist.org - address that failed

SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO: - stage where error code
received

host mx3.craigslist.org [130.94.251.51]: (said) 504 <localhost>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

You are saying 'EHLO localhost'  when you should be saying
'EHLO purple.com'.  I think your hostname stuff is not set up correctly.
What does `hostname; hostname -f` return - it should return your short
hostname followed by an internet addressable fqdn.  If not, fix that
first.
|  Stephen Gran                  | QOTD:  "I may not be able to walk, but  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | I drive from the sitting position."     |