Dan Crosta on 27 Jul 2005 18:57:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] is exim known to cause server problems and high server loads?

Marc Zucchelli wrote:

[...]

I ran top when the machine had a high load, and
normally I look to see if one process is hogging up
99% of the cpu time, but none of the processes were
above .3.  I did notice that from what I could see in
top, there were about 50 exim processes, and maybe 2
or 3 regular user/root processes would show up for a
second here and there.  After they reboot, it looks
pretty normal, with maybe 50 regular processes that
top shows me (I know there are more), and 2 or 3 exim
processes.

[...]

In my experience, the way load average usually gets high is from processess blocking on some sort of IO, usually network IO. Is much going on via NFS on this machine? Is the NIC running at 100BaseTx-FD (or whatever is appropriate for the NIC in question)?

dsc