Marc Zucchelli on 27 Jul 2005 18:49:37 -0000

[PLUG] is exim known to cause server problems and high server loads?

I have user access on a machine that I resell domains
on.  Lately the load average has been going up a lot,
usually around 80, sometimes spiking as high as 300.
The idiots I rent the server space from just reboot
the machine to fix the problem, but it keeps
recurring.

I ran top when the machine had a high load, and
normally I look to see if one process is hogging up
99% of the cpu time, but none of the processes were
above .3.  I did notice that from what I could see in
top, there were about 50 exim processes, and maybe 2
or 3 regular user/root processes would show up for a
second here and there.  After they reboot, it looks
pretty normal, with maybe 50 regular processes that
top shows me (I know there are more), and 2 or 3 exim
processes.

I am not familiar with exim, but it it possible that
its forking out of control, or maybe we have a spammer
overloading the server?

Thanks!  I am trying to figure out the problem myself
since the company I'm with apparentlly seems
incompetent.