Tom Diehl on 28 Jul 2005 03:13:24 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Verizon FTTP

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, John Von Essen wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I haven't heard of anything in Phila County. Typically, they do this
> stuff in the burbs first, its alot easier, plus they'll probably get
> more people initially signing up out there, then in the city.
>
> On a side note, what are people's thoughts on the whole Verizon FIOS
> thing? Mainly, their position as an effective monopoly owning all this
> fiber, the effect on cable companies (TV thru FIOS), will 3rd parties
> be able to sell FIOS-based internet service like they do now with DSL,
> how it effects CLECS selling T1's (whats the point of getting a telco
> T1 if you can have FIOS?), etc.,.

So far it seems that they are just going after the residential market.
I have seen no indication that they intend to allow business to connect to
it. In fact just the opposite. I have a customer in Doylestown who so far
VZ is refusing to connect, yet the building next door which is a private
residence has been connected for several months. Besides would you want
to run your critical data services on a service that VZ actually advertises
as being unreliable?? Read their commercials and TOS. They all say speed
and availability not guaranteed. They might as well advertise "We suck
and we do not care, we are Verizon"

When you buy a T1 you generally get an SLA. Sometimes you can get an
SLA with some "business DSL" services. Last time I looked even VZ
business DSL was a not guaranteed in any way kind of service.

> Just seems like in ~5-10 years, Verizon will own/control everything
> (especially if they buy MCI).

I have a big problem with it because VZ will do everything in their power
to create a monopoly. If you think Comcast is any better forget that idea.
Ever try to get an ISP on your cable modem other than Comcant??

Just my $.02

Tom

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com