Stephen Gran on 11 Aug 2005 15:08:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB memory stick won't unmount

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:05:44AM -0400, Greg Helledy said:
> Another issue which began after I upgraded to sarge is that my USB flash
> drive won't unmount.  I mount it, and have no problem reading from or
> writing to it, but when I try to unmount it, I get two identical lines,
> like:
> \mnt\usbkey:  device is busy
>
> The result is the same using KDE or the console.  I'm sure I've closed
> all the files residing on the drive, and have even closed the konqueror
> window showing the contents.  Even su'ing doesn't let me unmount it.
>
> Note that I don't have this problem with the CD drives, only the flash
> drive.  I am using the stock debian kernel image for 2.4.27-k7.  Anyone
> else seen this?

Konqueror uses fam to track file changes, and fam in sarge does a poor
job of releasing files.  HUP'ing famd (or /etc/init.d/famd restart) will
let you umount it cleanly.  I think there are already open bug reports,
hopefully they get a fixed version in in a point release.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | The [Ford Foundation] is a large body   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | of money completely surrounded by       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | people who want some.   -- Dwight       |
|  			         | MacDonald                               |