Andrew Libby on 12 Aug 2005 12:12:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB memory stick won't unmount

Stephen Gran wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:05:44AM -0400, Greg Helledy said:
>

>>Another issue which began after I upgraded to sarge is that my USB flash
>>drive won't unmount.  I mount it, and have no problem reading from or
>>writing to it, but when I try to unmount it, I get two identical lines,
>>like:
>>\mnt\usbkey:  device is busy
>>
>>The result is the same using KDE or the console.  I'm sure I've closed
>>all the files residing on the drive, and have even closed the konqueror
>>window showing the contents.  Even su'ing doesn't let me unmount it.
>>
>>Note that I don't have this problem with the CD drives, only the flash
>>drive.  I am using the stock debian kernel image for 2.4.27-k7.  Anyone
>>else seen this?
>>

>Konqueror uses fam to track file changes, and fam in sarge does a poor
>job of releasing files.  HUP'ing famd (or /etc/init.d/famd restart) will
>let you umount it cleanly.  I think there are already open bug reports,
>hopefully they get a fixed version in in a point release.

Curiously, I took a look around on my system today and while fam
is installed, famd is not running.  Is there anything mystical about
famd?  I checked for the presence of famd whle konqueror is running,
and also ran /etc/init.d/famd status, and it indicated: stopped.

Thanks.

Andy