Doug Crompton on 14 Aug 2005 15:06:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Just trying to ping my DSL modem

With DCAnet generally you need a MAC address per IP but I think you might
be able to netmask a block to a single MAC. I think you use to be able to
do that but something tells me thay may gave stopped doing that with new
customers. I suppose they do not like to do that unless you really plan to
use all of the addresses in the block. Otherwise they can assign single
unconsecutive address to MAC addresses. For the most part with port
forwarding you can live with one IP. I use to have a masked block of 8
with a former provider and thought I would not be able to live with just
one. So far it has been fine. The only program I have run into, that I
use, that requires an IP per instance is the amateur radio program
Echolink. I can only run one instance at a time on my network with one IP.

The nice thing about using the Linksys router as the front-end is that the
network does not depend on a running computer. I have a combination of
static and DHCP routing on the LAN side. I can come online with a computer
and it just works. This makes sense when you have many users, many of
which are windows. Why have all that stuff going thru a computer where if
something fails it brings the whole network down. You could also have
multiple routers (these things are only about $50 or less with rebates)
and multiple IP's and have multiple LAN networks. These could be tied
together on the LAN side allowing access at any point to multiple IP's
depending on which LAN you used - 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x  etc...

Doug

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Tom Diehl wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Doug Crompton wrote:
>
> > I have been using DCAnet with Verizon here for the last year and it has
> > worked well. They DHCP to a MAC address (the hardware ethernet address of
> > a device). I decided to use a router rather then a computer as the
> > front-end. I have found this to work well. I use a linksys cable/dsl four
> > port wired router. It does the DHCP (to it's MAC address) with DCAnet. I
> > then have a 192.168.x.x local network. If I have to change the router (I
> > have) you simply clone the MAC address that you originally gave DCAnet
> > into the device. Doing it this way you have no down time. You could also
> > contact DCAnet and update your MAC address, which would take some time. I
> > have never done anything with my DSL modem. I just plugged it in and it
> > worked. Firewalling is done for the most part at the router. All ports are
> > blocked that are not used. All computers on the network access the
> > Internet directly thru the router. My server is port forwarded from the
> > router.
> >
> > You could of course do this with/thru a linux front-end. In that case the
> > linux box would DHCP thru one ethernet port to the modem. It's MAC address
> > would have to match the one given to DCAnet.
> >
> > With DCAnet You can also setup additional IP's - up to six - with more MAC
> > addresses. They could be bridged off the modem with an additional router
> > or computer depending on how you chose to do it.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what happens with DCAnet if you have 1 MAC address and
> you want to assign multiple ip addresses to it? Does this config work??
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *