Douglas Lentz on 14 Aug 2005 14:31:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Just trying to ping my DSL modem

Hi, Stephen.

Thanks for the help. My previous emails may not have been that clear, because a) I am somewhat irritated at the situation and b) the Significant Other is hovering over me, saying things like "Why doesn't it work? It would work if you used Windows. Why do you have to be different than everyone else?"

What I was trying to establish is "When I signed up for the service, and DCANET sent me the modem, did they send me a piece of junk?"

When DCANET sent me the modem, they sent me no documentation or software. I downloaded the user's manual from Zoom, and that's how I know about the 10.0.0.2 address, where configuration software is supposed to live. I was trying to reach the 10.0.0.2 address not because the modem needed reconfiguration, but because this is the only tool I have to verify that I have connectivity with the modem. I used the ifcfg-eth0 configuration you suggested, and no ping at 10.0.0.2

My strategy was to first establish that I had connectivity with the modem, and then to wonder why my DHCP client wasn't working. However, I have begun to suspect that the Zoom 5515 ADSL Bridge is such a "thin" device that this may not be possible. Either everything from my NIC card to DCANET's name servers has to be working, or nothing works, and troubleshooting is not an option.

Sigh.

I went through Red Hat's GUI network setup program, selected eth0, clicked "Automatically obtain address settings with DHCP" and "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider". As root, I did a "service network restart" and got

Bringing up interface eth0: Determining IP information for eth0... failed.

My NIC card works, cabling tests out OK, the ADSL modem appears to go through a normal bootup sequence and finds its loop (if you can believe the blinking lights) I know that my DHCP client is dhclient. Maybe that isn't a good one?

The other possibility is that the modem doesn't work...but, as above, it may not be possible to determine this. Zoom's manual says it works with Linux. Maybe I should run out to Microcenter and buy another modem. Any suggestions?

I also have a Windows 2000 box. I suppose I can call DCANET, tell them to send me the software they didn't send me the first time, give them the MAC address from THAT box, and use the the windows box as a gateway, but, crap. I haven't had any problems with the RH box before this, installing dial-up ppp was easy, USB devices work fine.

Anyway, thanks a lot David, Stephen & Leon. I will call DCANET Monday AM but I am not optimistic.