Douglas Lentz on 13 Aug 2005 15:19:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Just trying to ping my DSL modem

Thanks, Stephen.

Re trying to establish connectivity to my DSL modem: I set up my ifcfg-eth0 as you indicated below, and I do get a response from ping now. However, I am still uncertain. With this configuration...

Stephen Gran wrote:

This looks like you have your IP set to a static, but private, network
address.  Since you need DHCP, this won't work.  If you want to ping the
modem, try

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none

USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Ethernet
IPADDR=10.0.0.3
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
BROADCAST=10.0.255.255
GATEWAY=10.0.0.2

...how can I be sure that I'm pinging the modem? Is it possible that I'm just assigning address 10.0.0.3 to my RH9 box, and when I ping, I'm just pinging myself?