Doug Crompton on 13 Aug 2005 14:25:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Just trying to ping my DSL modem

I have been using DCAnet with Verizon here for the last year and it has
worked well. They DHCP to a MAC address (the hardware ethernet address of
a device). I decided to use a router rather then a computer as the
front-end. I have found this to work well. I use a linksys cable/dsl four
port wired router. It does the DHCP (to it's MAC address) with DCAnet. I
then have a 192.168.x.x local network. If I have to change the router (I
have) you simply clone the MAC address that you originally gave DCAnet
into the device. Doing it this way you have no down time. You could also
contact DCAnet and update your MAC address, which would take some time. I
have never done anything with my DSL modem. I just plugged it in and it
worked. Firewalling is done for the most part at the router. All ports are
blocked that are not used. All computers on the network access the
Internet directly thru the router. My server is port forwarded from the
router.

You could of course do this with/thru a linux front-end. In that case the
linux box would DHCP thru one ethernet port to the modem. It's MAC address
would have to match the one given to DCAnet.

With DCAnet You can also setup additional IP's - up to six - with more MAC
addresses. They could be bridged off the modem with an additional router
or computer depending on how you chose to do it.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *