Stephen Gran on 13 Aug 2005 02:27:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Just trying to ping my DSL modem

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 09:59:50PM -0400, Douglas Lentz said:
> Hi all. Back on 7/21 Luke, David and Christopher were good enough to
> respond to me re my problems with getting my Verizon DSL connection (my
> ISP is dca.net) up. Unfortunately, just when they responded to me I had
> a series of exams at Drexel, and was not able to implement their
> suggestions then. I have just gotten back to the problem now.
>
> To make a long story short, I have had DSL for a month now, without
> getting/receiving one byte. But that may not be an extraordinary
> experience :-)
>
> I have a "static" IP address from DCANET, which means that they promise
> to keep assigning me the same one via DHCP. (Some confusion surrounds
> this point. This definition of static IP address is NOT the one the
> modem's manufacturer has in mind). I believe that DHCP is failing on my
> RH9 box because I cannot establish connectivity with the ADSL modem,
> period. So this is not a request to help me get my connection up;  at
> this point, a success condition would be pinging the modem, which I
> cannot do at this point. OR, another way to say this is that I may need
> to build a case that the modem is defective, but I would like to
> establish that scientifically.
>
> Before anything happens, I need to be able to connect to the modem.
>
> The modem is a  Zoom 5515 ADSL Bridge. Now according to its docs (which
> assume Windows user and PPPoe, neither of which is true in my case), if
> my DSL connection was of the PPPoe variety I should, in ifcfg-eth0, set
> the IPADDR to 10.0.0.3. Additionally, the modem is supposed to have
> configuration software at 10.0.0.2.

This indicates that the broadband 'modem' is a transparent bridge, and if
you are set up for DHCP, it will not intercept the DHCP requests, or make
them for you.

> Please correct me if I am mistaken, I am more of a DBA type than a
> network person. My idea is: I have a home network. I should be able to
> pull the ethernet cable running from the RH9 box to the hub OUT of the
> hub, plug the cable into the modem, and ping the modem at either
> 10.0.0.3 or 10.0.0.2, and I should get a response even if the modem
> isn't connected to the phone line. Am I correct?

Use the hub, unless you are using a crossover cable.

> My ifcfg-eth0 file is
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=no
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPADDR=192.168.1.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

This looks like you have your IP set to a static, but private, network
address.  Since you need DHCP, this won't work.  If you want to ping the
modem, try
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Ethernet
IPADDR=10.0.0.3
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
BROADCAST=10.0.255.255
GATEWAY=10.0.0.2

I think - I am less familiar wiht RH networking arrangements than with
Debian.  I think you'll basically want to set the above to use dhcp
client, and see if that works for you, though.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The game of life is a game of           |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | boomerangs.  Our thoughts, deeds and    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | words  return to us sooner or later     |
|  			         | with astounding accuracy.               |