Stephen Gran on 13 Aug 2005 17:52:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Just trying to ping my DSL modem

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 11:13:46AM -0400, Douglas Lentz said:
> Thanks, Stephen.
>
> Re trying to establish connectivity to my DSL modem: I set up my
> ifcfg-eth0 as you indicated below, and I do get a response from ping
> now. However, I am still uncertain. With this configuration...
>
> Stephen Gran wrote:
>

> This looks like you have your IP set to a static, but private, network
> address.  Since you need DHCP, this won't work.  If you want to ping the
> modem, try
>

> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=no
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPADDR=10.0.0.3
> NETMASK=255.255.0.0
> NETWORK=10.0.0.0
> BROADCAST=10.0.255.255
> GATEWAY=10.0.0.2
>

> ...how can I be sure that I'm pinging the modem? Is it possible that I'm
> just assigning address 10.0.0.3 to my RH9 box, and when I ping, I'm just
> pinging myself?

OK, let's back up a step, and understand what you are trying to
accomplish.  I assumed you had everything correctly configured for DHCP,
and that didn't work, so you then wanted to test the router (with IP
10.0.0.2) to make sure that wasn;t the problem.  So I gave you what I
think is the right configuration to be able to ping 10.0.0.2.  If you
are pinging 10.0.0.3, then yes, you are just pinging yourself.

But let's go back to the real problem - you want to get your machine on
line.  Do you know how to set RH up to use DHCP?  I believe there is a
nice graphical interface to do this, although I can't remember the name
of it for the life of me.  Try setting the RH machine to use DHCP, and
then restart networking.
|  Stephen Gran                  | How much for your women?  I want to buy |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | your daughter... how much for the       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | little girl?   -- Jake Blues, "The      |
|  			         | Blues Brothers"                         |