Doug Crompton on 18 Aug 2005 15:21:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ISPs (again)

Ues I pay ~44/month in quarterly bills - I think about $144 with taxes and
all - DCAnet/Verizon in Bucks County. Your rate seems high. I know
Speakeasy has rates like that but I did not think DCAnet did. Maybe it is
a Covad thing. Speed should not matter much or at all. If they could do
3m/768 to me the rates would be the same. Verizon basically charges
$29/month for the same line. So they sell it at some discount to DCAnet
and they get the difference for supplying  the services.

Doug

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:12:36AM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > They use Verizon services but offer you a fully open port, static
> > IP's (MAC/DHCP assigned) and reliable service. Speed depends (like
> > it does with Verizon) on line distance and quality. I get very
> > consistent 1.5/364 speeds but I am not typical as I am on an RT and
> > the speed limit is an equipment limit not DCAnet. You should get 3
> > megs or possibly more at most locations. Their price is more -
> > $44/month paid quarterly - then Verizon at $29 or whatever they are
> > charging now, but with Verizon you do not get static and they could
> > block ports or limit use.
>
> You pay $44/mo = $528/yr ?  I'm paying DCA $80/month, but annually, so
> about $900/yr, for 1.5 Mb down / 384 Kb up service over Covad.
>
> I asked them recently about faster service or lower prices and they
> said I could switch from Covad to Verizon.  But the numbers they gave
> me assumed I already had a Verizon land line, which I don't.  Once I
> added in the cost of a land line, the price was almost the same as it
> is  now.
>
> So how do you get 1.5/364 for $44/mo?
>
> And, Cosmin, how are you looking at getting 3 Mb / 768 Kb in the city?
> How much are you looking at paying for that?
>
> --
>  Jeff
>
>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287
>  GPG fingerprint: 1A1A BA95 D082 A558 A276  63C6 16BF 8C4C 0D1D AE4B

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *