Doug Crompton on 24 Aug 2005 14:56:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] FYI - FIOS/DCAnet

I wonder how long the battery life is and if they replace it? I am
assuming the interface is their property and their responsibility.

Static PPOE? Let me know about that. Also there is the issue of do they
block any ports or dis-allow any services.

Doug

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Luke Renn wrote:

> When they install FIOS they install a UPS.  I think the guy said it
> was 6 hours, though I'm not positive.  But yeah, you need power to use
> FIOS, and your phone is on it so....
>
> As for FIOS, so far it's pretty damn impressive.  I love when i see
> downloads > 2500k a second.  Verizon on the other hand is pretty
> lame.  Their mail servers don't support SSL, which is kind of
> unacceptable in my opinion.  They also still use PPPoE.  Oh, and my IP
> changes like once every half hour.  I haven't had time to fool around
> with it, but I may be able to use static PPPoE or some such to get it
> to behave (at least thats what the installer hinted at).  Either way,
> I prefer it over comcast.
>
> Luke
>
> --
> Don't worry about what anybody else is going to
> do. The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
>                    -- Alan Kay

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *