Edmund Goppelt on 30 Aug 2005 13:11:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ext3 and fsck

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 08:28:15AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 08:00:47AM -0400, Edmund Goppelt wrote:
> > 1. Install smartmontools and do a short self-test.  If the drive is
> > truly hosed, the drive will almost certainly fail spectacularly.
>
> Cool tool.  Thanks for the pointer.
>
> I'm not too sure how to read the results.  It tells me there were
> errors, which I know, but I don't know if this is "spectacular
> failure," pending failure, or normal range.  Any help?

If it were me, I'd replace the drive immediately.

Per smartmontools, your drive is failing (I've never found the drive's
own overall health assessment, PASSED in your case, to be at all
useful).  The fact that you're getting kernel messages--the last line
of defense in a long line of error correcting machinery--does not bode
well.

You may be able to get more specific info on the nature of the failure
by running a short test, i.e., smartctl -t short /dev/hdwhatever, but
the bottom line IMO is that the drive is bad and should be replaced
ASAP.

--

Ed Goppelt
http://www.hallwatch.org