Ronald Mansolino on 30 Aug 2005 12:30:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hard disk partitioning

> On 8/30/05, Rodney Oliver <roliver3@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it possible to create a RAID 1 array using two drives then LVM those
> > drives?  If so where can I find some good documentation with example
> > partitioning schemes?
>
> Assuming you mean using Liinux software raid, sure, you can do that.
>
> When you create your LVM volume, instead of using a physical
> partition, like say /dev/hda2, you'll just reference an md device,
> like say /dev/md0.
>
> While it may be technically possible to raid your /boot, I'd recommend
> you save the headaches and not bother with it.  Same for swap, don't
> use a raid for swap.
>
> If you're really serious about building it out "the right way", go
> with a single drive that will house /boot and swap space, smallish,
> like 2-4 gb.  Add to that a hardware raid adapter and the drives.  You
> can use LVM on the RAID volume.  Most distros seem to just make 3
> partitions these days, /boot, / and swap.  There are plenty of reasons
> to splinter the filesystem further, such as keeping /var and / apart
> from /home so that user activity won't crash the box if they run their
> filesystem out of space.

what about /etc ?
where/when does the stuff there come into play?
what's a sensible strategy for a 3-disk (plus cdrom) ide chain?
I sorta decided on

/ and everything but
/usr
/home

and is it sensible to have swap on all 3 drives (close to the spindle?)
BSD seems to divide the swap usage equally amongst all swap partitions,
does linux do something similar?