Jason on 30 Aug 2005 12:04:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hard disk partitioning

On 8/30/05, Rodney Oliver <roliver3@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to create a RAID 1 array using two drives then LVM those
> drives?  If so where can I find some good documentation with example
> partitioning schemes?

Assuming you mean using Liinux software raid, sure, you can do that.

When you create your LVM volume, instead of using a physical
partition, like say /dev/hda2, you'll just reference an md device,
like say /dev/md0.

While it may be technically possible to raid your /boot, I'd recommend
you save the headaches and not bother with it.  Same for swap, don't
use a raid for swap.

If you're really serious about building it out "the right way", go
with a single drive that will house /boot and swap space, smallish,
like 2-4 gb.  Add to that a hardware raid adapter and the drives.  You
can use LVM on the RAID volume.  Most distros seem to just make 3
partitions these days, /boot, / and swap.  There are plenty of reasons
to splinter the filesystem further, such as keeping /var and / apart
from /home so that user activity won't crash the box if they run their
filesystem out of space.

It really depends on how the box is being used.  The best advice I
could give about this?  Think.  Think some more.  When you're done -
think again.  You'll be glad you planned it all out down the line.