Eric on 2 Sep 2005 22:56:17 -0000

[PLUG] Time flies

About a month ago I purchased a new computer... a Hewlett Packard Pavillion
a1130n - Athlon 64 with a gig of RAM, 250GB SATA drive, etc....  Fastest
computer I've ever owned by more than a factor of 2 :-)

Promptly made the box dual boot and spend most of my time running KDE from
SuSE 9.3 professional.  Now... here's the strange thing... my clock runs
double speed under Linux and straight time under windows.

The KDE panel clock ticks over one minute every 30 seconds.

In a shell, this command...

$ > date; sleep 10; date
Fri Sep  2 18:45:32 EDT 2005
Fri Sep  2 18:45:42 EDT 2005

... takes takes precisely _5_ seconds to execute :-P

When I start to set the clock time/date the KDE panel clock "jumps" to the
correct time (usually) if it's not too far out of sync with reality.  This
without me "setting" anything - just entering the application to change the
time/date.

Searching Google and SuSE's knowledge bases have proved fruitless.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before and if so, what is/was the
resolution?

Do I have to become a Kernel Hacker to fix this???

Thanks in advance!!

Eric