sean finney on 9 Sep 2005 16:42:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian/ubuntu: updating the kernel with apt

hey,

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 11:51:44AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I assume that the location of the boot partition is stored somewhere so
> that dpkg can figure out how to update the menu.lst.  Does anyone know
> where so that I can manually change it and avoid having to manually edit
> menu.lst every time I update the kernel?

if ubuntu does it the same as debian, if you look further up in menu.lst
you'll see some "commented out" options, which are actually used as
the default settings for when menu.lst is regenerated.  for example:

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro

change that, _leaving it commented out_, and then rerun update-grub to
make sure it looks how you want.  also notice that you can even specify
different options for kernels based on major/minor versions, which
might be helpful for debian vs homerolled kernels.

hth,
	sean