Carlos Konstanski on 14 Sep 2005 00:14:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] sudo broken in ubuntu

Boot up under knoppix and edit the sudoers file, or manually create a
root account in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow?  I've seen people make 2nd
root accounts this way.  Use grub-md5-crypt to generate a password.

Carlos

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Christopher M. Jones wrote:

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:02:18 -0500
From: Christopher M. Jones <cjones@partialflow.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] sudo broken in ubuntu

I've just put Ubuntu on a second drive to try it out. I ran etherconf to
set up the network and now I can't sudo anything. I get sudo: unable to
lookup copernicus.example.com via getbyhostname(). I hunted around a
bit, and I found a few people saying they fixed this error by
reconfiguring locales. However, their fixes involve using sudo, and that
is completely non functional for me at the moment.

Any ideas, anyone? Note that because ubuntu has no root account
configured and I didn't set one up, there is effectively no root on this
machine without sudo. Nor can I mount the drive and chroot into it from
my debian because of "unsupported features" in ubuntu's ext3.