Stephen Gran on 14 Sep 2005 10:18:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] sudo broken in ubuntu

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 08:02:18PM -0500, Christopher M. Jones said:
> I've just put Ubuntu on a second drive to try it out. I ran etherconf to
> set up the network and now I can't sudo anything. I get sudo: unable to
> lookup copernicus.example.com via getbyhostname(). I hunted around a
> bit, and I found a few people saying they fixed this error by
> reconfiguring locales. However, their fixes involve using sudo, and that
> is completely non functional for me at the moment.
>
> Any ideas, anyone? Note that because ubuntu has no root account
> configured and I didn't set one up, there is effectively no root on this
> machine without sudo. Nor can I mount the drive and chroot into it from
> my debian because of "unsupported features" in ubuntu's ext3.

Fix /etc/hosts - you have no entry for your machine there, and it
obviously isn't findable in DNS.  In order to get root, boot with
init=/bin/sh, as sean said.
HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | We don't really understand it, so we'll |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | give it to the programmers.             |