Walt Mankowski on 14 Sep 2005 17:33:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu install wont boot

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:23:49PM -0400, Jeff Watson wrote:
> > A new linux user, switching from a poorly installed Mandrake to a
> > hopefully correctly installed Ubuntu distribution, I cannot figure out
> > how to boot the installation disc. It does not automatically pop up
> > when I start or restart the computer (2000 IBM Thinkpad).
>
> Did you burn it as an ISO and not a data cd?? (Burn Image) Did your boot
> sequence change in your BIOS? Simple things you probably did but i figure i
> would ask...

I burned CDs of both the current production Ubuntu ISO (5.04) and the
new Breezy Badger (5.10) ISO.  I had some issues getting it to install
on my hardware, but in both cases the CD itself booted up just fine.

Admitedly I burned the CDs on my powerbook and not on Linux [1] but
that at least proves that the ISOs themselves are bootable.

Walt

1. Yeah, yeah, but it's my only box at home with a CD burner. :)