Mike Joseph on 27 Sep 2005 19:00:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux / FreeBSD consulting opportunity

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 12:01:50AM -0400, Mike Joseph wrote:
> I've been contacted by a party interested in hiring an individual with
> strong Linux and FreeBSD (both are a must) server administration experience.
> They are looking for someone to do consulting / hands on (in Conshohocken,
> PA) on an hourly basis.  Part time for now, but I understand additional
> hours and possibly a regular position might be possible at some point down
> the road.
>
> If you are interested in this type of work, please send me your contact
> information and any other details you'd like me to pass on and I'll send
> your responses to the party.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Mike

Sorry for the second post, but I've been given some additional information
about this position that I wanted to send out for anyone who might be
interested.  The company wished to reiterate that they are an international
organization, located in Europe, with a growing equipment based colocated in
Conshohocken, PA, and therefore looking for local support.  I'm including a
partial job description below.

-Mike

Hardware and sys-administration US support

Scope:

1. Managing the infrastructure, i.e. racks, servers, equipment, power
supply, cabling, etc.

2. New equipment, i.e. servers, peripherals
 - receiving from suppliers (courier shipments)
 - installing in racks, plugging in cables (Ethernet + power)
 - updating bios/firmware

3. Installing ops systems (FreeBSD) on servers, or assisting at remote
install (Gentoo Linux)

4. Configuring equipment (matrixes, load balancers, etc.)

5. Labeling servers and equipment, maintaining equipment / server / parts
itemized list (including idle equipment)

6. In case of hardware failures
 - swift response and assistance
 - problem identification (e.g. disc failures)
 - fixing / replacing if possible

7. In case of software failures (OS)
 - swift response and assistance
 - problem identification (e.g. config errors, bios related problems, etc.)
 - fixing if possible (proper OS launch)

8. Hardware re-configuration (installing new parts, replacement)

9. In case of broken or redundant equipment or components, storing, shipping
back to supplier

10. Periodic visits to NOC to monitor the infrastructure and identify
potential problems (alarm LED.s)

11. Describing racks, physical location of servers, Ethernet connections

12. Creativity, e.g. spotting potential problems (no space in switch,
overheating, power supply overload, etc.), and recommending solutions

NOTE: for each of the above, it is critical to maintain regular
communication with SA and mgmt teams as required, in real time, via phone
and/or communicators, such as ICQ, akeni, server talk.

Skills&knowledge:

1. knowledge of FreeBSD and Linux
2. knowledge of the Ethernet
3. knowledge of hardware issues (servers, SCSI, RAID matrix)
4. ability to respond promptly in case failure assistance is required