George A. Theall on 8 Oct 2005 16:38:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 and HELO host

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:33:22AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> Drexel.edu has begun refusing email from me because I am saying
>
>     HELO astra.purple.com
>
> The name astra is my local machine's name but is (correctly) not
> listed in outside DNS (astra=192.168.0.7).  I've been googling all
> morning to figure out what to do, but no luck.  Any suggestions?

Either allow remote DNS to resolve the host properly or change the name
you're using.

> (This is debian sarge.)
>
> Current suspicion suggests modifying update-exim4.conf.conf or that I
> somehow want to change the value of primary_hostname.  But I haven't
> found documentation on what changes to these things would mean.

Sorry, I can't help there - I use sendmail.

> A second question is what I should say instead.  HELO purple.com (no
> such host, but there is an MX record) or MX puddle.purple.com (there
> is such a host, it's the name of my gateway, but I don't listen to
> incoming smtp there).

Either should get around the current problem.  I'd probably opt for the
latter since your mail currently appears to be originating from there.

Btw, note that it's not uncommon for large messaging systems to have
separate machines for incoming and outgoing mail and not bother
listening for incoming connections on the later.

George
--
theall@tifaware.com