Jeff Abrahamson on 8 Oct 2005 15:33:27 -0000

[PLUG] exim4 and HELO host

Drexel.edu has begun refusing email from me because I am saying

    HELO astra.purple.com

The name astra is my local machine's name but is (correctly) not
listed in outside DNS (astra=192.168.0.7).  I've been googling all
morning to figure out what to do, but no luck.  Any suggestions?
(This is debian sarge.)

Current suspicion suggests modifying update-exim4.conf.conf or that I
somehow want to change the value of primary_hostname.  But I haven't
found documentation on what changes to these things would mean.

A second question is what I should say instead.  HELO purple.com (no
such host, but there is an MX record) or MX puddle.purple.com (there
is such a host, it's the name of my gateway, but I don't listen to
incoming smtp there).

Any help appreciated.

Here's the error I receive:

  The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

    Xyz@drexel.edu