Stewart B Lone on 9 Oct 2005 15:24:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] anyone tried closednetworks.com?

Pat Regan wrote:
> Michael C. Toren wrote:
>
>>There are a few ways in which the latency can be lowered -- for example,
>>by using asynchronous routing whereby inbound packets are received via the
>>high-throughput, high-latency satellite link, and outbound packets are
>>sent via a low-throughput, low-latency link, such as a modem.  However,
>>the impression I have when looking at the closednetworks.com website is
>>that they are not utilizing satellite links, but rather fixed-wireless
>>links within the city.
>>

> I don't usually think of a dialup modem as low latency :).
>
> I believe I misspoke earlier.  I said that the satellite adds 500ms.
> What I should have said was that it adds 500ms in each direction.  If
> you are using a modem for the uplink, you will get 500ms additional
> latency on the downlink.  If you use the satellite for both, you get
> 500ms in each direction for a total of an entire second.
>
> I don't know about you, but I get annoyed when the latency on an ssh
> session gets up near 400ms :).
>

>>>It would also be nearly useless for IP Telephony.
>>
>>Ever make overseas phone calls?  :-)
>

> I get annoyed enough with the latency on cell phone to cell phone calls
> :p.  I'd hate to have to deal with something worse for every local call :).
>
> Pat

Being a dual citizen, with lots of relatives in the UK. I use Skype
quite a lot. I agree that latency can be quite a problem. However, if
you choose the right time of the day latency problems kind of disappear.
Of course this is strictly personal use; business use would be
problematic, at least for me here on the east coast. That is if I had a
business.
Stewart