Michael Lazin on 10 Oct 2005 01:56:53 -0000

[PLUG] NFS:Linux server and Irix client

I wish to add an Irix 6.2 client to my linux NFS server.  I read the following about it on sourceforge:

Irix versions up to 6.5.12 have problems mounting file systems exported from Linux boxes - the mount point "gets lost," e.g.,
	# mount linux:/disk1 /mnt
# cd /mnt/xyz/abc
# pwd
/xyz/abc

This is known IRIX bug (SGI bug 815265 - IRIX not liking file handles of less than 32 bytes), which is fixed in IRIX 6.5.13. If it is not possible to upgrade to IRIX 6.5.13, then the unofficial workaround is to force the Linux nfsd to always use 32 byte file handles

I tried to look up this workaround, but I can't find how to force nfsd to always use 32 byte file handles.  Excuse my ignorance, but I do no know what a file handle is.

Thanks,

Michael