Lee Marzke on 10 Oct 2005 06:36:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] New Laptop Recommendations

I tried the knife test on my T22, and see no marks. But we may both be right, the case shell is supposedly
made of Titanium reinforced plastic! Other models may differ.

-Lee

Excerpt from:   http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2285

Like IBM's previous T4X series models, the T43 is a textbook definition of physical quality. From the first time you touch it, you know it's just good. The screen cover for the ThinkPad T42 is constructed of magnesium alloy and prevents any screen flexing. With other laptops you can usually push on the back of the lid and get a worrying ripple effect on the LCD screen, the T43 protective case will prevent such a thing from happening. The ThinkPad's insides are housed in a case of titanium-reinforced plastic. The whole thing is held together by a pair of sturdy metal hinges that attach the screen and main body of the laptop. These metal hinges ensure that there is no screen wobble, even when on a turbulent plane ride. The T43 simply looks like it's been designed to take a beating (although you should still avoid abusing the notebook when possible).

Eric Lucas wrote:
I too am a Thinkpad fan (running W2K and Suse 9.3 pro on my X20.)

I've heard the claim of "Titanium" cases before and in fact the X20 was sold
to me as having a Titanium case... but it's plastic.  It breaks (a
friend used a
power seat to drive a mouse into the screen of one so I KNOW they flex and
break like plastic.)  I'm guessing that for the most part the Titanium
is a _color_
choice and not a material choice.  I'd welcome info to the contrary but
have
yet to see it from IBM.
[see, for example:
http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&productId=4611686018425101646&storeId=10000001&langId=-1&dualCurrId=[Ljava.lang.String;@57fa8ad&categoryId=4611686018425039802
] and search on the word "titanium"... it's listed after "color: "

If you believe you have a titanium metal case then you can try this test: [Note: the following is entirely at your own risk!!] On an unobtrusive
area
of the case (bottom?) take a pocket knife and press the point of a small
blade
against the case material.with a small amount of force. If it's
titanium you will not
be able to see _any_ mark where you did this. If' it's plastic, you
will have created a small dimple
in the plastic.

Oh, and the Intel Centrino ipw2100/2200 wireless (in a Dell laptop in
particular)
is a bitch to get running under RH EL 3 - in fact I see claims that it's
been done
but have not yet seen it work..

Eric

Lee Marzke wrote:

Joseph,

I have an older T22 Thinkpad and love it,  running both WinXP Pro and
SuSE 9.3
DVD+/- writer, with Orinico Gold PC card.  Many internal WiFi chips
don't work.

Thinkpads have titanium cases, and can often be dropped on concrete
without
damage ( except perhaps a disk head crash )  These are pretty
inexpensive on Ebay.

However, every model and OS distribution has to be researched
individually.
If you can't do this I'd suggest buying one pre-loaded with Linux.

See:          http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/

Lots of other models here as well,  check out the
http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/sharp/meteor/    as reviewed by Linux
Journal.

Also,  http://www.monarchcomputer.com/  are experts on Linux ( they
put together the
Ultimate Linux  Box )  and they are coming out with Laptops soon.  You
might call
them and ask.

Lee Marzke

Joseph Sands wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, I'm open to the price but my main
concern is that it have 802.11G, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, and be compatible
with both
Linux and Windows. I would like something smallish; battery life is no
concern, as I can always plug it in wherever I am.  I had bad luck with
wireless laptops in Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe Sands