Eric Lucas on 7 Oct 2005 02:15:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] New Laptop Recommendations

I too am a Thinkpad fan (running W2K and Suse 9.3 pro on my X20.)

I've heard the claim of "Titanium" cases before and in fact the X20 was sold
to me as having a Titanium case... but it's plastic.  It breaks (a
friend used a
power seat to drive a mouse into the screen of one so I KNOW they flex and
break like plastic.)  I'm guessing that for the most part the Titanium
is a _color_
choice and not a material choice.  I'd welcome info to the contrary but
have
yet to see it from IBM.
[see, for example:
http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&productId=4611686018425101646&storeId=10000001&langId=-1&dualCurrId=[Ljava.lang.String;@57fa8ad&categoryId=4611686018425039802
] and search on the word "titanium"... it's listed after "color: "

If you believe you have a titanium metal case then you can try this test:
[Note: the following is entirely at your own risk!!]  On an unobtrusive
area
of the case (bottom?) take a pocket knife and press the point of a small
blade
against the case material.with a small amount of force.  If it's
titanium you will not
be able to see _any_ mark  where you did this.  If' it's  plastic, you
will have created a small dimple
in the plastic.

Oh, and the Intel Centrino ipw2100/2200 wireless (in a Dell laptop in
particular)
is a bitch to get running under RH EL 3 - in fact I see claims that it's
been done
but have not yet seen it work..

Eric