Jason on 7 Oct 2005 12:25:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] New Laptop Recommendations

On 10/6/05, Joseph Sands <js479@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, I'm open to the price but my main
> concern is that it have 802.11G, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, and be compatible with both
> Linux and Windows. I would like something smallish; battery life is no
> concern, as I can always plug it in wherever I am.  I had bad luck with
> wireless laptops in Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've got a T40 running SuSE 9.3, and it rocks my socks off.
Everything, and I do mean everything in it works, no hassle even.

That includes:

ATI Radeon 9x000 (i forget which particular chipset I've got)
Bluetooth
Wifi - Centrino 802.11g (I replaced the ipw2100 with an ipw2200 module)
Modem - smartlink
Onboard Ether is Intel 10/100/1000 and worked out of the box.

OpenSuSE 10.0 is supposedly shipping any minute now, so I'll be
downloading and trying that on for size shortly.

Even WPA2 works properly on SuSE 9.3, after applying the patch to the
yast network config packages available from YOU.  I expect it will
work from the start on OpenSuSE 10.