Stephen Gran on 9 Oct 2005 17:05:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 and HELO host

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 04:19:07PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 12:38:25PM -0400, George A. Theall wrote:
> >   [37 lines, 227 words, 1338 characters]  Top characters: etonasri
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:33:22AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> >
> > > Drexel.edu has begun refusing email from me because I am saying
> > >
> > >     HELO astra.purple.com
> > >
> > > The name astra is my local machine's name but is (correctly) not
> > > listed in outside DNS (astra=192.168.0.7).  I've been googling all
> > > morning to figure out what to do, but no luck.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > Either allow remote DNS to resolve the host properly or change the name
> > you're using.
>
> Well, clearly, (and thanks) but the question is how to tell exim4 to
> report the host name as something other than what $(hostname -f)
> returns.  It's also common enough for a hidden machine to be
> deliverying mail, it must be easy if only one knows the right exim4
> switch.

As you've guessed, it's just a question of setting primary_hostname to
fake it.  The other option is doing DNS views - those inside your LAN
resolve astra as 192.168.0.7, those outside resolve it as 216.158.45.183
- it is in fact legal to have 2 A records resolve back to the same IP
address, but since some mail servers will also check your reverse DNS,
it may be easier to just say you are the gateway (or let the gateway
smart host your outgoing mail, or whatever).

So long as you're not actually listening for incoming SMTP connections on
this IP address, I see no untoward side effect in having a public record
for a private machine.  I do also see advantages, since there may be other
handshakes going on where astra leaks out into the conversation, and the
remote end gets unhappy - SMTP is just the one you've noticed up to now.

The Debian Way of doing this doesn't appear to actually do much with
this - I think just add a primary_hostname = purple.com (or, really,
since purple.com is also unresolvable, you should probably use
puddle.purple.com, otherwise you're in the same place) to on eof the
files under /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/ (if using the split config).

HTH, and talk to you later,
|  Stephen Gran                  | We are all so much together and yet we  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | are all dying of loneliness.   -- A.    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Schweitzer                              |