Rob Carlson on 11 Oct 2005 14:18:35 -0000

[PLUG] Sun E-250

Hi all,

My company has a donation to make to someone, and whoever can give the most noble reason/plea for the donation will receive it. Preferably this will go to a school or a charitable institution that needs a network server either for educational or utilitarian purposes. We really don't want someone to take this just so they could have an E250 in their basement-- otherwise _I'd_ have an E250 in my basement

We have s Sun E-250 that is no longer in production. 2x400Mhz Utrasparc II CPUs, 1gb RAM
4 scsi hard drives (18gb) 2 of which we are not sure about, but the 2 that were the root RAID volume are fine. Hooks up to a VGA monitor. It also has Network cards, the manual, and keyboard/mouse. I recently did a test install of Solaris 10 w/ no issues.

But that's not all--

Also included are 2 Sun PCI cards. These are basically full computers (Celerons) with network card included. One makes a file for disk space (kind of like vmware) on the Solaris volume, and one can install any OS that would could run on a celeron from inside X. With 2 of these you could build Citrix server farm on one box, or whatever.

The other catch (other than having a noble purpose) is that you have to pick it up. We are talking about 120 lbs here. (I'll help you get it outside to your vehicle...)

If you are interested and have said noble purpose, write to < rcarlson at kitchenandassociates dot com > with E-250 in the subject line. (Don't write to my reply address.) We'll make a decision within 2 weeks, less time if a good purpose arises.

Thanks,

Rob