jazzman on 16 Oct 2005 18:50:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] "Current" Linux on old laptop

Well I have been fighting with the Debian installer for a few days now.
I'm trying to get it to install on an older IBM Thinkpad 760ED. I
downloaded the boot floppies to start the network install, since
downloading 16 cd images seemed silly, especially knowing i'd probably
only need a few.

The install boots fine and will properly detect any of the following
PCMCIA Network cards:

- DLink DFE-690TXD
- 3Com 3CCFE575BT
- Socket EA Credit Card Adapter

However none seem able to get an address via DHCP. I have tried manually
assigning an address and they still won't talk to anything. I have
attempted to restart the network services and what not, ifconfiged the
heck out of the network cards... all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Marc