sean finney on 17 Oct 2005 16:13:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Unknown FS and mounting a Floppy

hi,

(breaking the thread here)

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:56:08AM -0400, Dan Roberts wrote:
> Could you please give me an example of the cpio command that I could use
> on a floppy that I can't mount and would like to read of to  /tmp
> dan

i'd highly recommend getting the data off the disks as the first
priority.  floppies are notoriously "lossy" with those important
bits :).

so first things first, i'd do something like the following:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy1.bin

where fd0 is replaced with the appropriate floppy device.  if you get
i/o errors, you might want to try a program called dd_rescue
(part of the ddrescue package in debian), which can handle bad
media about as gracefully as possible.

after you've done this, you can make as many copies of the file as you
want, and try as many (possibly invasive) things to it as you want,
without putting further wear on the media or risking loss of the data.

	sean