sean finney on 18 Oct 2005 20:48:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] installation tango

hi bs,

it seems like you're having a few problems :)

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 04:32:46PM -0400, schwepes@netaxs.com wrote:
> Also, it thinks I live in Germany and is happy to provide me with the
> setups for local ISP's.

heh, i'm not surprised.  being originally a german distribution, it
probably defaults to that.

> Oh, Mandrake said on the box that it handled the card in question.
> a Matrox but then it didn't want to talk to the Trident either which
> the box also said was compatible.
> Can any one explain the old fashioned way of making devices work?

you'll need to provide some more information, if you want to get
concrete help.  I can tell you the configuration file you'll probably
want to edit is either XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf, buried under /etc/X11
(or perhaps elsewhere).  what you need to put in there depends on your
card.  the output of lspci -v will be the most helpful for specifics.

there may be special utilities for detecting/configuring your device
under suse, but i'm a debian guy so i can only help with the
"old fashioned" way in this situation ;)

> Also, it does not want to believe that the floppy drives exist.  It
> tells me bald face that the fd0 is not in fstab when I can bring up
> fstab and see it glaring at me.

assuming it's not commented out, have you tried the same thing as root?
when you run mount as a normal user, you can't always mount entries
listed in fstab.  otherwise, the contents of fstab and the actual
program output would be helpful.

also, for future reference, please start a new thread for new topics
by sending a new message, instead of replying to a message in a previous
thread.

	sean