Art Alexion on 19 Oct 2005 18:51:02 -0000

[PLUG] OT: Verizon POP upgrade

I know there are a few verizon subscribers so I thought I'd pass this
on.  As Verizon software only supports Windows, I usually ignore the
stuff that they offer me occasionally via email.  They recently offered
some premium Yahoo stuff free with the standard Verizon account and I
checked it out.  It is worth it.  You have to sign up on a windows
computer, but once you do there is some good stuff that applies to Linux
access as well.

   1. With the upgrade, you get 2 gigs of mail space on the server *for
      each email address* instead of 10 MB shared by all sub-accounts.
   2. Server based spam filtering into a "bulk" mail folder.  You can
      choose to check this via the web interface for false positives, or
      have it forwarded to your POP account.
   3. There may be more but the server space is worth the fuss of
      installing this on a windows machine.

Once you accept the offer and set it up, you have to make the following
changes in your MUA:

   1. POP server changes from incoming.verizon.net to
      incoming.yahoo.verizon.net.
   2. POP server no longer supports secure authentication.
   3. login user name changes from <user> to <user>@verizon.net.  (e.g.
      instead of "art.alexion" its "art.alexion@verizon.net".
   4. SMTP server changes from outgoing.verizon.net to
      outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net.

Do not follow the MUA configuration instructions on the web site.
Instead, make the above changes.

I thought I'd send this as Verizon/Linux subscribers may not have
otherwise looked into this offer.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c