Jeff Abrahamson on 19 Oct 2005 18:30:35 -0000

[PLUG] printers spying

The EFF decoded the nearly invisible dust that many consumer printers
have been leaving on documents for much of the last decade.  It turns
out it often encodes date and time of printing as well as the model
and serial number of the printer involved.  They point out that no
legal structure exists to prevent government misuse of that
information.

    http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/19/eff-decodes-printertrackingdots/
    http://www.eff.org/Privacy/printers/

Speculative articles have appeared before, but I'm not aware of the
definitive decoding results the EFF reports (but I haven't checked).

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287