sean finney on 23 Oct 2005 10:05:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade hell: udev and kernel 2.6.12

hi jeff,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 07:04:31PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Doing a dist-upgrade, I ran into problems that udev wants to be
> installed but needs kernel 2.6.12.  I'm running 2.6.8.  There are two
> bugs already filed against udev for not depending on 2.6.12 even
> though it won't install without it.

yeah, and reading the reports can be informative only as to how
much of an ass some debian developers can be.  sorry.

> No problem, say I: I'll just upgrade to 2.6.12.  But here start my
> troubles: I can't upgrade to 2.6.12 because udev is pending
> installation.  But I can't uninstall udev because too much depends on
> it.  (I'd have to uninstall all of gnome, apparently, and that's just
> what meets the eye right away.  And it won't uninstall anyway because
> udev isn't installed.)

it sounds like you might be in a really tricky situation if you have
a bunch of other packages installed (or half-installed) that depend
on the new udev, but the new udev won't install.  the two courses
of action i could see that might help:

- editing the config/preinst script  /var/lib/dpkg/info/udev (whichever
  has the test causing install to fail) to disable the test, and then
  install the latest linux-image.  note: i don't know udev so i don't
  know if this will break anything during that window.
- download the new kernel debs (and relevent deps) and manually install
  them via dpkg (which you should still be able to do regardless of
  udev's state).  Then hopefully a reboot into single-user mode will
  let you finish udev's installation.

	sean